Culture Fresh Foods, Inc is a Non-Dairy processing facility headquartered in Naugatuck, CT. The facility produces a wide range of plant based spoonable and spreadable cultured and ESL (extended shelf life) products for private label, copack and under its own brand.
The Purchasing Manager works independently but in close conjunction with numerous other functional business areas including Finance, Production and Quality Assurance. The position holder will implement and execute the Company’s purchasing initiatives. This individual must possess supplier management and purchasing experience and the ability to critically review and comment on vendor supply contracts. Occasional domestic travel, the ability to creatively solve problems, knowledge of commodity markets and how they influence raw material costs, and the ability to act proactively to identify cost savings opportunities are all prerequisites of this position. Strong relationship management skills, organizational and mathematical skills, strategic reasoning and the ability to thrive in a fast paced, stressful environment are a must. This individual must possess absolute integrity and trust in all facets of their role, and extensive interaction with senior level management is necessary. This person reports directly to the CEO.
Leadership Duties and Responsibilities of this position:
- All matters listed herein are essential job functions. There may be other job functions which are essential but are not listed below. This description may be modified at any time.
- The Purchasing Manager proactively reviews internal areas of spending identifying opportunities for cost/resource savings.
- Work proactively with almost all functional departments to identify their materials needs and identify appropriate sources of supply.
- Understand supplier universe by learning about our current supply relationships and proactively monitoring markets to identify potential new supply opportunities.
- Think creatively and critically to test market/material assumptions and uncover opportunities to increase efficiencies/reduce costs without sacrificing quality.
- Excellent mathematical and spreadsheeting (excel) skills are a must, as are the ability to present recommendations in an efficient and logical manner.
- Ability to understand and negotiate supply contracts.
- Responsible for timely and accurate reporting on materials spending. Tracks relevant supply and commodity markets to identify potential areas for both supply and cost risk.
- Main point of contact for most suppliers. Develops strong, reliable and fair relationships with the Vendor community. An open and honest approach to doing business and solving problems are critical.
- Makes recommendations to senior management regarding program cost levels and cost changes.
- Works closely with QA department to ensure existing and potential vendor meet all quality and input specification requirements. Work with Finance department to monitor and update materials costs.
- Leads by example by following all Company operational policies, procedures, standards and specifications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Participates in vendor contract review and negotiation.
- Monitors commodity markets.
- Monitors vendor community to identify changes in supplier situations/identify new opportunities.
- Main point of contact for most vendors.
- Understands and supports the role of the Quality Assurance, Customer Service, and Supply Chain teams. Ongoing meetings and reviews with these teams.
- Immediately identifies and reports any instances of supplier’s/external/internal parties violating our corporate gift giving/receiving policies.
- Proactively builds internal/external relationships.
- Works closely with Quality Assurance departments to ensure all materials supply non-conformance issues are resolved in a timely fashion.
- Visits new and existing vendor facilities as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- 2 Years of Purchasing experience, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in analytical tools (ex. Excel) and reporting.
- Excellent mathematical/analytical, written and verbal skills.
- Ability to present information in a concise and organized manner.
- Knowledge of commodity markets & dedication to building upon this knowledge.
- Business Etiquette & Integrity: Ability to communicate with others, via telephone, email or in person, in a professional and serious manner while simultaneously building credibility/rapport. This includes ability to understand, be diplomatic and tactful, demonstrate appropriate behavior in social situations and maintain composure in negative circumstances in order to achieve results while maintaining absolute integrity & adherence to all Company policies.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in organization and prioritization, and attention to detail.
- Strong team player and leader with the ability to work across multiple functions, disciplines and cultures.
- Occasional travel is required.